11-year-old MA girl suffers chemical burns from homemade slime

Posted March 29, 2017

A girl from MA recently suffered chemical burns while making got burned while making slime.

Kathleen Quinn was making the extremely popular goop when, she says, her hands started hurting.

Kathleen's hands were covered in blisters, her mother says.

Her parents took her to a local hospital where it was determined the girl's hands had second and third-degree burns.

The girl was at a sleepover the weekend of March 18 when she woke up in agonizing pain.

But Quinn's creations included Borax One as a key ingredient, which doctors believe are likely the cause of her injuries.

Netherlands fire manager Danny Blind with World Cup qualification in doubt
Blind said he believed the team was on the right path and that the Bulgaria defeat was "an incident". "That does not change the result".

She said she's now paranoid about allowing her younger daughter to make any more non-Newtonian fluids. Doctors, however, have warned parents that Borax can be toxic if it's not safely diluted, which may have been the case with Quinn.

Though she's in pain, Kathleen is expected to make a full recovery. Homemade slime is hot "do it yourself" trend right now, but it could also be putting your kids at risk.

11-year-old Kathleen Quinn has been making "slime" since December.

"I thought it was great", Siobhan Quinn told ABC 13.

According to the American Chemical Society, slime is a common science experiment that is conducted in middle school classrooms to teach students about non-Newtonian fluids, or fluids that don't operate under Newton's Law of Viscosity.

It is unclear whether Borax was used in her daughter's slime. "Glitter slime, clear slime, sequin slime, glow-in-the-dark slime, puffy slime, and metallic slime are just a few of the gooey concoctions to surprise us, all of which use Elmer's glue as a key ingredient".