Massive US bomb death toll rises to 94

Posted April 18, 2017

The US military's largest non-nuclear bomb killed at least 36 militants as it destroyed a deep tunnel complex of the Islamic State group, Afghan officials said, ruling out any civilian casualties.

Dubbed the "Mother Of All Bombs", the GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb was unleashed in combat for the first time Thursday, hitting ISIS positions in a remote, rugged area of eastern Nangarhar province.

While US officials have upped their death count from the Afghan MOAB drop to 94, Indian authorities are claiming that at least 500 Pakistani nationals (who had been protecting the ISIS operatives in this area) were killed in the US bombing in Nangarhar province.

Afghan officials say at least 90 Islamic State fighters were killed when the USA dropped the "mother of all bombs" in Afghanistan - although IS has denied suffering any casualties.

Mr Shinwary had earlier confirmed to the BBC that Afghan special forces, with the help of American air support, had begun anti-IS operations in the area two weeks ago.

"How many Daesh have they killed, 100, 200?"

The biggest non-nuclear bomb ever dropped in combat by the USA military killed 36 militants in eastern Afghanistan, officials said Friday, and villagers in the remote, mountainous area described being terrified by the "earsplitting blast".

More than 90 Islamic State militants were killed when the U.S. military dropped an 11-ton bomb on eastern Afghanistan, according to the Afghan government.

District attorney: New developments in slain jogger case
Vetrano, 30, was also out jogging when she vanished, though no solid connections were ever made between the two murders. Standing in front of the Princeton Police Department Saturday afternoon, Worcester County District Attorney Joseph D.

Afghans have since resumed offensive operations against ISIS, Waziri said.

But he said it could be "significant" because the attack came at evening prayer time, when fighters might have been concentrated in one area.

Afghan villagers carry items in Pandola village near the site of a US bombing in the Achin district of Jalalabad.

The commander of the USA forces in Afghanistan, General John Nicholson, defended the use of the bomb and confirmed the target of the strike was the network of tunnels that ISIS fighters use to move around and protect themselves from Afghan and US forces.

Mr Trump hailed the mission in Achin district as "very, very successful". It said they were careful to prevent any civilian casualties.

Some analysts called the action "disproportionate". As for whether the U.S. should be bombing Afghanistan, that is another question altogether. "ISIS, by comparison, is a sideshow". "The Taleban continues to sit pretty".

The Taliban, a much bigger insurgent group, is expected to soon announce the start of this year's fighting season.

General John Nicholson, head of United States and global forces in Afghanistan, said the "weapon achieved its intended purpose".