Massive landslide leaves 14000 pilgrims stuck on Badrinath highway

Posted May 25, 2017

"The road will be opened for the traffic by this afternoon today", a district official said.

Dehradun (Uttarakhand) [India], May 21 (ANI): The death toll of "Char Dham" pilgrims killed in the massive landslide in Uttarakhand has increased to 13.

Pilgrims who have reached the Badrinath shrine have been stopped there and asked not to take the return journey for the next 24 hours.

Hundreds of pilgrims are feared stranded after a landslide occurred near Vishnuprayag in Uttarakhand's Chamoli district blocking the Rishikesh-Badrinath National Highway.

Initial news of people from Telangana and Andhra Pradesh being stranded at a landslide-hit pilgrimage site, in Uttarakhand caused much trepidation among the families of the affected.

Usmanov bid to buy Arsenal rejected by Kroenke
This breaking news story is being updated as more information emerges - please refresh the page for the most recent version. Alisher Usmanov has reportedly made a $1.3 billion (£1 billion) offer to Stan Kroenke for a controlling stake in Arsenal .

Border Roads Organisation (BRO) personnel are working round-the-clock to clear the debris that has blocked the route at Hathipahad, near Vishnuprayag.

Indian Army has also set up camps for the stranded and other tourists along the Char Dham route, and is providing them with various amenities, but most importantly, nutritious food. The state's department of disaster management immediately came into action. The chief minister had earlier in the day said 102 passengers were from Aurangabad, 33 from Pune, 58 from Sangli and six from Jalgaon. Government authorities are now busy in providing food and lodging to stranded pilgrims.

People stranded on the highway after a landslide near Vishnuprayag in Uttarakhand on Friday.

Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat has instructed Secretary Amit Negi to constantly monitor the situation.