India imposes curfew on Kashmir on anniversary of Burhan Wani's death

Posted July 09, 2017

Srinagar/Jammu and Kashmir, July 8: On the death anniversary of Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist Burhan Wani, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) has taken preventive measures in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) to stop possible disturbances. All routes leading to Tral town were sealed with barricades and coils of concertina wires.

Separatist leaders - majority in jail or under house arrest - have called for strikes and protests to mark Wani's death, prompting the Indian government to take drastic measures.

Muzaffar Wani, Burhan's father, said that the protest movement in the region can not be suppressed by the authorities.

In uptown areas of Srinagar and other places in the valley where restrictions were not imposed, shops, public transport and other businesses remained closed and very little private transport was seen on the roads.

Burhan was killed in an encounter with security forces in Kokernag area of south Kashmir's Anantnag district on July 8 previous year.

A senior Congress leader of Jammu and Kashmir, Saifuddin Soz, has made a controversial statement regarding the much debated killing of Burhan Wani. They have also suspended mobile and Internet services. Its top leader based in Pakistani-controlled Kashmir, Syed Salahuddin, was recently designated as a "global terrorist" by the U.S.

Over 100 people were killed, majority protesters or bystanders, in the months that followed and many more sustained serious eye injuries from the controversial pellet guns used by Indian paramilitary and police to quell the protests.

Pacers GM reneged three-way trade with Nuggets and Cavs
Sabonis is a 6-foot-11 power forward that was drafted as the 11th pick in the 2016 National Basketball Association draft. Many had expected that a trade of Paul George would cost draft picks; especially from the Lakers, Cavaliers or Rockets.

"We don't need only political, diplomatic and moral support". It said it had lodged an official protest with the Indian envoy.

Wani's killing in an encounter with security forces on July 8 a year ago, triggered massive protests and prolonged period of curfews and shutdowns across the Valley.

Over 80 young men from these areas had taken to arms since the encounter, official sources from the state had said earlier.

The internet is also being shut down by the Indian government.

They said that police denied permission to offer fateh at the grave of Burhan adding this angered the youth who were present there which resulted in clashes.

Rebel groups have been fighting since 1989 for Kashmir's independence or merger with neighboring Pakistan.

The clampdown has only fueled greater resentment against India in the Muslim majority region.